mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Marc Neeley" <neel...@ociweb.com>
Subject RE: [Vysper 0.7] Server-to-Server communication...
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 15:09:49 GMT
Bernd,
  Thanks for clearing me up on this. You are correct concerning the separate
routing based on the local domain (pub/sub) vs s2s (remote domain) and I was
not separating the two correctly in my thinking.

  Ultimately what I am experimenting with is XMPP server federation, so I am
only concerned with remote domain conditions. I realize that is currently
supported via XMPP in Vysper in the s2s implementation, but I am working
with some gateway type functionality that I would like the Vysper server to
attach to rather than to another Vysper server directly. Is there a
straightforward handshaking routine that is in the implementation now that
my server could comply to initiate the connection?

Thanks again for answering my questions.

Marc

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernd Fondermann [mailto:bf_jak@brainlounge.de]
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 4:36 AM
To: dev@mina.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Vysper 0.7] Server-to-Server communication...

On 09.02.12 16:19, Marc Neeley wrote:
> Niklas,
>    Thanks for the reply. I did run across the XEP-0114 spec and
> discussion online, but it has been unclear to me how  s2s vs. non-s2s
> traffic is separated for any given implemented component.

Should it be separated. In short each server is handling only stanzas
targeted for his own domain plus subdomains, every stanza for other domains
must either be rejected, or send to the authorized server via s2s.

> For example, if I don't
> enable s2s as shown in the Vysper docs then can I then use say the
> XEP-0060 Pub/Sub implementation  for s2s instead? I didn't know, for
> example, if things like dialback would only be active and sent if the
> s2s configuration is turned on and thus, the XEP-0060 implementation
wouldn't see it.

Maybe I'm not getting you right, but these are separate issues. pub/sub
requests for [pubsub.]mydomain.com must be handled by the server handling
mydomain.com stanzas. If client me@mydomain.com request to subscribe to a
topic on pubsub.some-other-domain.com, this request can't be fulfilled by
mydomain-server anyway (it can only be relayed). If s2s is enabled, the
subscription request would be relayed to some-other-domain.com, otherwise it
would be rejected by mydomain.com-server (because this server is responsible
for relaying, but s2s is turned off). This is unlike HTTP where any client
can connect to any server: XMPP clients must go through their servers to
other servers.

Did this match your question?

  Bernd

   Thanks