mina-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject [MINA 3] Session write queue
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2012 22:24:18 GMT
Hi,

I have a few comments about the existing code :

1) We don't need to protect the WritQueue with a lock : it's already a
thread safe queue. Removing this lock will save a lot of contention.
2) The NioTcpSession.ready() method now calls two methods : one to
process the read, and another one to process the writes.
3) We *must* execute the read and the writes in a separate thread,
otherwise the future will block for ever if we have more than one
message to write. In fact, theready() call should be done within the
selector worker, and delegated to a separate thread :

Selector Thread     Worker Thread
       |                  |
+->select()               |
|   read() ---(1)--> processRead()
|     |                   |
|     |                  ... // do whatever is needed on the handler
|     |                   |
|   write() -(2)--> processWrites()
|     |
+-----+
 loop

Here, even if the worker thread is busy processing the read, and that
includes writing some data then waiting for those data to be written,
the selector thread will continue to process incoming data and outgoing
data. The communication between the Selector thread and teh Worker
thread is done through a queue of events and a notification mechanism
using the Futures.

One more thing : we should use the same Worker Thread for a given
session, otherwise we may have some problems while decoding the
messages. If the user wants to be able to process two different messages
concurrently for the same session, then it's up to this user to add an
executor in the handler.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,