mina-dev mailing list archives

From Julien Vermillard <jvermill...@gmail.com>
Subject NIO UDP server, does it make sense at all ?
Date Fri, 24 May 2013 14:53:33 GMT
Hi,
I just conducted some NIO vs BIO on UDP server.

For a UDP server you need only one socket, not like for TCP (with
spawn anew socket for each client session).

So if you try to detect I/O events with NIO select(); on your only one
socket you pay a hugr price for detecting events.

With the MINA 3 CoAP codec, I managed to have 20k msg/sec on my laptop
(mina or netty NIO) but with a basic BIO client/server implementation
it jumped to 100k msg/sec (with both client and server on my laptop).

I start to think a NIO based UDP server is pointless and we should not
try to provide one, but a good BIO based one.

What do you think ?
Julien