mina-dev mailing list archives

From Erick Lichtas <ELich...@linoma.com>
Subject CCC support in FTP Server requires changes to Mina's SslFilter?
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 14:29:36 GMT
Hi Everyone,

I've been using the mina FTP server for quite some time, and would like to get CCC support
added to the server, specifically https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FTPSERVER-411 which
was opened a couple years ago.

I've take a look at the code attached on the case and have noticed there are some issues in
Mina when trying to remove an SslFilter from the chain while it is in use, race conditions
exist which frequently result in IllegalStateExceptions.  This appears to be a synchronization
issues in the SslFilter. Additionally, it appears the SslFilter is designed to not be removed
once it is added to the chain and that I can simply call stopSsl() basically disable the filter.
I'm currently working with Mina 2.0.7.

Going with this approach, i updated the CCC.execute(..) method to look like this

public void execute(final FtpIoSession session,
                final FtpServerContext context, final FtpRequest request)
                throws IOException, FtpException {

                // reset state variables
                session.resetState();

                if (session.isSecure()) {
                                synchronized (session) {
                                                session.write(new DefaultFtpReply(200, "Okay")).awaitUninterruptibly();
                                                IoFilterChain filterChain = session.getFilterChain();
                                                SslFilter filter = (SslFilter) filterChain.get(SslFilter.class);
                                                filter.stopSsl(session).awaitUninterruptibly();
                                }
                }
                else {
                                session.write(new DefaultFtpReply(500, "Not a secured session"));
                }
}

This seems to work great with certain FTPS clients that support CCC, such as Commons-NET and
SmartFTP, but fails with others, such as CuteFTP and WS_FTP Pro are failing

I believe this ties into this COMMONS-NET case https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NET-354,
and this ftpserver-users archive http://markmail.org/message/elzz43cqz22d4jap#query:+page:1+mid:bak2icz4n26fadlg+state:results<http://markmail.org/message/elzz43cqz22d4jap%23query:+page:1+mid:bak2icz4n26fadlg+state:results>

They contain some debate on the proper implementation of terminating SSL and it seems there
are clearly 2 different client implementations, some that properly terminate SSL by sending
the CLOSE_NOTIFY, and some that simply disregard the ssl wrapper and move on.

So while adding the call to filter.stopSsl(session).awaitUninterruptibly() in the CCC.execute
method works for some clients, it appears CuteFTP and WS_FTP do not expect the CLOSE_NOTIFY
and actually get confused when they receive it.

I've tweaked Mina's SslFilter to add a toggle for whether or not to send a CLOSE_NOTIFY and
adjusted the code as follows:

public WriteFuture stopSsl(IoSession session) throws SSLException {
        SslHandler handler = getSslSessionHandler(session);
        NextFilter nextFilter = (NextFilter) session.getAttribute(NEXT_FILTER);
        WriteFuture future;
                                synchronized (handler) {
                                                if (SEND_CLOSE_NOTIFY) {
                                                                future = initiateClosure(nextFilter,
session);
                                                }
                                                else {
                                                                synchronized (handler) {
                                                                                // release
resources
                                                                                handler.destroy();
                                                                }
                                                }
                                }

                handler.flushScheduledEvents();

                return future;
}

I'm not sure if this is the right approach, but it now seems to be working for the mentioned
FTPS clients that were not working with the CCC command before.

My questions are more or less requests for comments and suggestions, whether or not I'm way
off track, and if this is something that can be fully integrated into Mina and the FTP server.

Thanks!
Erick Lichtas