mina-dev mailing list archives

From Ashish <paliwalash...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adding Monitoring to MINA 3.0
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 15:59:36 GMT
On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> Le 7/25/13 5:24 PM, Ashish a écrit :
> > Folks,
> >
> > Since we have M1 release, we can think about adding Monitoring support to
> > MINA.
> >
> > Yammer's Metrics package is quite widely used for this.
> >
> > http://metrics.codahale.com/
> >
> > I do not have a concrete idea on how to go about putting monitoring in
> > place. It would be worth discussing about it.
> >
> > We can use to monitor
> >
> > bytes in/out
> > Queue lengths
> > Protocol Messages in/out
> > # IO Listener
> > Events Connect/Idle etc
> > JVM stuff (http://metrics.codahale.com/manual/jvm/)
> >
> > wdyt?
> >
> I'm totally +1 for monitoring MINA.
>
> At some point, JMX would be a good addition, but JMX per se is not funny
> to play with. I don't know how easy Metrics is, but if it's any better
> than pure JMX, I think it worth giving it a try !

Metrics has different ways for reporting, JMX is one of the supported
methods. Other are HTTP, Ganglia, Graphite and others (
http://metrics.codahale.com/getting-started/#other-reporting). So this
would make integration easy with enterprises which already have Monitoring
systems in place.

> Now, the key is to now preciselly what to monitor. But we can start with
> a few things, and add monitors as we go on.

+ 1, Lets play with it and get something working to discuss further. I will
create a JIRA for tracking

--
thanks
ashish