mina-dev mailing list archives

From Lyor Goldstein <lgoldst...@vmware.com>
Subject RE: Selecting a specific KEX signature at client for server key
Date Fri, 18 Dec 2015 17:56:37 GMT
I don't think what yo described is possible tor standard SSH. The KEX must use a key type that
is available for both the server and the flient. If you look at the KEX INIT command you 2ill
notice that there is only ONE FIELD tor key signatures,  unlike ciphers. MACs and compression
wher each side can choose what to use.  Bottom line, you cannot force the server to present
a weaker key than the client. However,  all is not lost - OpenSSH servers do support a non-standard
extension where they send ALL their keys. I only recently added support for this - look for
the OpenSSHHostKeys global request handler
_____________________
From: Alon Bar-Lev [alon.barlev@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2015 6:19 PM
To: dev@mina.apache.org; Lyor Goldstein
Subject: Selecting a specific KEX signature at client for server key

Hello,

I have a challenge...

Let's assume I need to securely reconnect to a server, for that purpose I store its public
key. Every time I connect to this server I compare the public key accepted by ServerKeyVerifier
with the public key that is approved.

This works perfectly and securely, well, until server adds a stronger algorithm/public key,
for example, a server with ssh-rsa key adds ecdsa-sha2-nistp256 one.

In this case KEX selects the stronger one, causing client to reject the server as  public
key differs.

I found a solution to this problem is to limit the signature algorithms based on the public
key type. We know the public key, so we can limit the KEX to use only this type of signature,
for example, assuming the approved key is ssh-rsa we can:

    client.setSignatureFactories(Collections.singletonList(BuiltinSignatures.rsa))

Now, even if the server has ecdsa-sha2-nistp256 key, the client will only receive the ssh-rsa
key.

This works find as long as password authentication is used.

However, as the signature factory is common to both client and server KEX, this will not work
in all cases for public key authentication, as the factory must contain the union of both,
for example:

 server has both ssh-rsa and ecdsa-sha2-nistp256 keys.
 client caches the ssh-rsa.
 client key is ecdsa-sha2-nistp256.
 client must enable both rsa and nistp256 signatures for KEX to succeed.
 server key will be ecdsa-sha2-nistp256 as it is the strongest among ssh-rsa and ecdsa-sha2-nistp256.

Keep in mind that my understanding of the code is limited, I reviewed the session callbacks,
but from what I do understand there is no way to separate KEX algorithms of server from these
of client, as both are in the same base class KexFactoryManager.

If I understand correctly, a solution could be implemented by having two signature factories,
one for client side and one for server side, or have a filter for client and server, to enable
forcing a specific set of algorithm for each side.

Maybe I mis-read the code and there is an option of forcing server to use a specific key differently.

Any clue?

Thanks,
Alon Bar-Lev.