mina-dev mailing list archives

From Lyor Goldstein <lgoldst...@apache.org>
Subject Q: SSHD - Should we add dependencies to Apache Commons or not ?
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2018 17:54:03 GMT
While going over the MINA SSHD code in order to try and break it down
further to smaller modules, I encountered quite a few utility classes that
duplicate (exactly or closely) code that already exists in other very
popular "3rd party" library - specifically Apache Commons (...so not quite
"3rd party"...) . E.g., *IOUtils*, *GenericUtils*, *ValidateUtils*,
*NumberUtils*, etc....

While I understand the advantages of maintaining a low dependency factor,
there is still the issue "re-inventing the wheel". I would therefore like
to float this question on the forum and get your opinions on this.
Specifically, I would suggest we add *compile* dependencies on Apache
*commons-lang3,
commons-collections4* and *commons-io* (perhaps also *commons-text,
commons-codec, commons-compress* but unlikely). At the same time, of
course, replace the duplicating utilities code with calls to these new
libraries.

My main drive is that these are very popular libraries, well maintained and
thoroughly tested, not to mention very useful. It, therefore, feels
wasteful to replicate code that is already available out there (and for
free...). Furthermore, their license is fully compatible with ours - after
all, they are under the same umbrella as SSHD - i.e., the Apache
foundation...

I would welcome your opinion and insight on this
Lyor G.