mina-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Mina SSHD 2.1.0
Date Sun, 30 Sep 2018 10:20:47 GMT
Just for the record :

"Every ASF release MUST contain one or more source packages, which MUST
be sufficient for a user to build and test the release provided they
have access to the appropriate platform and tools."

(http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#source-packages)

Le 29/09/2018 à 19:36, Lyor Goldstein a écrit :

> As a side-bar, in the era of github does it make sense to mandate
> publishing the sources ? After all, they are publicly available to whoever
> wants to clone the repository and build the project. Perhaps Apache should
> reconsider the policy and allow projects that have a public (!) git hub
> repository avoid the need to publish the sources....

It's more than just a policy: it's a legal safety net. It already
happened that The ASF was asked to prove that some source was pristine,
which is only possible if you keep a track of all the commits since the
very beginning.

Also Github is own by a private company, we should not depend on them,
they can easily shutdown their service, or stopping offering it for
free. Or simply have an issue and lose the data.

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org