mina-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving MINA site from SVN to Git
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2020 23:34:29 GMT
Hi Roy,

On 10/02/2020 16:00, Roy Lenferink wrote:
> Hello MINA developers,
>
> I noticed MINA is still serving its site from SVN with help of the Apache
> CMS.

Yes. It has been this way for around a decade (actually, as soon as the
CMS was proposed). before that we were using a buggy Confluence ->
website generator.

> At the Apache Celix project we decided to move away from the CMS and move
> towards git for serving our website [1]. The master branch contains the
> actual
> website sources whereas the generated website is served from the asf-site
> branch.
> Hugo is being used as static website generator. Content is written in
> Markdown.

How different is it from the CMS syntax ? We have quite a complex
template to manage the sub-projects, and I would be interested to know
what it meant to convert the MINA site from The ASF CMS to Hugo...

> I experimented a bit with MINA its site and have something working with Hugo
> as well now. An example of its output is (for demo purposes only) available
> on [2]
>
> Moving to git can enlarge the visibility of how projects are functioning.
> Next
> to that, new contributors can just create a pull request against the website
> repository if they find anything they want to improve. And a 'Edit on
> GitHub'
> button can be added as well to the site, e.g. an example of a page on the
> Celix website [3]

I'm quite interesting to move away from the ASF CMS for at least 3 reasons :

- git

- being sure that we still can update the site when the ASF CMS will be
decommissioned.

- generated docs update are a PITA (with frequent removal of them due to
some bad manipulations)

OTOH, I don't want to spend days on such a task...

> If the community is interested in this move what I propose:
> - Someone from the PMC to request a new git repository for the website via
> [4] called e.g. mina-site
> - Me creating the pull request from the repository I am temporarily using
> for the website contents [5] to the official mina-site repository
> - In the meantime discuss with INFRA about the best way to host the
> gen-docs (it could be part of the repo in the /static/ folder, however if
> there
> is a better way it is best to discuss this upfront).

yes, this is a kind of a concern. Any system that is simpler than what
we currently have withe The ASF CMSl would be a relief. I can't count
the number of times I have had to reinject those generated doc because
there was a mistake and they were simply removed by the process...

> - Create a Jenkins job to automatically build the site after changes happen
> on the master branch.
> - When the pull request is reviewed and merged ask INFRA to move over
> from the current svnpubsub to the gitpubsub approach and remove MINA
> from the Apache CMS.
>
> I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this :)

All in all, I'm interested !

Thanks !