From "Niklas Gustavsson" <nik...@protocol7.com>
Subject Re: FtpReply.REPLY_202_COMMAND_NOT_IMPLEMENTED
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2008 20:09:03 GMT
On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Sai Pullabhotla
<sai.pullabhotla@jmethods.com> wrote:
> Is the constant below really supposed to be in the FtpReply.java?

Yes :-)

>    /**
>     * 202 Command not implemented, superfluous at this site.
>     */
>    public static final int REPLY_202_COMMAND_NOT_IMPLEMENTED = 202;
>
> It is used in two places - one in the ACCT.execute

This is what the RFC says:
            If the command is not
            implemented by a particular Server-FTP process because it
            has no relevance to that computer system, for example ALLO
            at a TOPS20 site, a Positive Completion reply is still
            desired so that the simple User-process knows it can proceed
            with its course of action.  A 202 reply is used in this case
            with, for example, the reply text:  "No storage allocation
            necessary."  If, on the other hand, the command requests a
            non-site-specific action and is unimplemented, the response
            is 502.

So, what we're saying is that "It's not implemented, but don't worry
and go ahead with the rest of your commands"

> and PASS.execute. I
> was wondering if they should instead use 502 instead of 202.

PASS is not allowed to return 502. We send it if you would send the
PASS twice, again saying that "we did nothing with your request, but
don't worry".

/niklas