From Niklas Gustavsson <nik...@protocol7.com>
Subject Re: FtpServer hitting its limit?
Date Thu, 08 Oct 2009 11:53:54 GMT
On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 1:46 PM,  <ar1@safe-mail.net> wrote:
> Just googled it and it says:
> "file server running Windows Server 2003 with 1 GB of RAM can efficiently
> support approximately 100,000 remote concurrent file handles, regardless of
> the size of the files. If your users are likely to have more than 100,000
> files open at a time, plan to split this load across two or more servers."
>
> So it's not likely it's the cause, as there is only 1 file per user, and there is less
than 2000 users.

The problem with file handles is not due to the file the user
downloads, but the sockets used by the server. Each socket consumes a
file handle, and the socket lives also after the user has disconnect
for a certain time. If too many users connect during this period, you
might run out of handles. The max allowed handles is a setting in the
OS. You can find some more info in our FAQ:
http://mina.apache.org/ftpserver/faq.html

> Also as the ftp server runs fine when restarted, and it takes couple of days to reach
this issue, I don't think it's the os causing this.

I agree this points to some other issue, but let make sure.

> niklas, can you give a private email to send the netstat report to(when I'll have it)?
As I do not want to make it public.

Send it to the address from which I send these emails. Also, can you
include a thread dump?

/niklas