From Dana Merk <dm...@DataExpedition.com>
Subject Re: FTP transport alternatives for faster throughput
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2010 19:43:55 GMT
DevNull43,

I appreciate the quick and detailed reply.  Sounds like your tests
yielded about what we'd expect, given the factors in play.  Generally,
on an unstressed network, LAN-scenarios, we expect ExpeDat and FTP to
come within a few % points of each other in terms of performance.

As you noted, our protocol is really designed for more of the
enterprise WAN space, where we typically see very big data sets going
across larger data paths typically wrought with high congestion,
latency, and packet loss.  In those cases, there is usually no
comparison to plain FTP.  In essence, MTP/IP is going to strive to
fill the pipe as efficiently and quickly as possible.  So, scenarios
where TCP does a fine job of that (LAN, short-hops, etc.), really
don't tend to be great use scenarios for us.

Of course, if we can ever provide any assistance from this angle /
line of thinking, please do not hesitate to keep us in mind and
contact us.

Thank you again for the reply.

Have a nice weekend,
Dana