nifi-dev mailing list archives

From "Edenfield, Orrin" <orrin.edenfi...@prgx.com>
Subject RE: Multiple dataflows with sub-flows and version control
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2015 15:44:15 GMT
Thank you everyone for the help with explaining the logical approach to multiple flows that
I'll need to take - since it is different than my "multiple ETL job" history I'm accustomed
to.  I think I'm starting to understand - and this can work similarly with ETL tools I'm familiar
with (Informatica, Sterling Integrator, Talend, Pentaho, etc.)

I'm still trying to start very simply with a compression of the input data before landing
into HDFS - so I've setup multiple flows between the GetFile and the PutHDFS and this seems
to be working as I expect it (see attached screenshot).

I will need to think some more about how this can be used when it comes to our existing ETL
pipelines but I think IdentifyMimeType, EvaluateRegularExpression, HashContent, MonitorActivity,
ReplaceTextWithMapping, RouteOnContent, and even SegmentContent may get us a long way.

Thank you.

--
Orrin Edenfield

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph.Spangler@l-3com.com [mailto:Ralph.Spangler@l-3com.com]
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2015 10:07 AM
To: dev@nifi.incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: Multiple dataflows with sub-flows and version control

Nifi is very capable of multiple data flows. In fact I have used it in this way for some time.
Whether it is getting data from a source,, doing some processing on it, and sending it to
multiple destinations, OR, sending data form multiple sources to a single destination, OR
having multiple flows defined at one time. It is quite flexible. As for version control, I
have not played with this, but the version I last used had a limited capability.

If you want to create a new flow, but keep the old running, just instantiate another flow
in parallel, NiFi doesn't really care that they are the same.

To answer 1. Yes, there is capabilities (at least in the version I used) to test the data
and alter the flow based on the type. 2 is answered above. Also, creating additional processors
is not that difficult if you have the documentation. we actually created ours by reverse engineering
NiFi processors, this would be another way to solve your issues.

Ralph Spangler