nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Brandon DeVries <...@jhu.edu>
Subject Re: behavior of posix vs gnu - Mac users and more
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2015 12:52:16 GMT
So, my knowledge comes entirely from the past 5 minutes of googling, but
from the gnu " Controlling the Archive Format" page [1] the options are
described as follows:
gnu

Format used by GNU tar versions up to 1.13.25. This format derived from an
early POSIX standard, adding some improvements such as sparse file handling
and incremental archives. Unfortunately these features were implemented in
a way incompatible with other archive formats.

Archives in `gnu' format are able to hold file names of unlimited length.
posix

Archive format defined by POSIX.1-2001 specification. This is the most
flexible and feature-rich format. It does not impose any restrictions on
file sizes or file name lengths. This format is quite recent, so not all
tar implementations are able to handle it properly. However, this format is
designed in such a way that any tar implementation able to read `ustar'
archives will be able to read most `posix' archives as well, with the only
exception that any additional information (such as long file names etc.)
will in such case be extracted as plain text files along with the files it
refers to.

This archive format will be the default format for future versions of GNU
tar.

Aside from being more recent and thus not necessarily universally
supported, it sounds like posix is the the better choice going forward.

[1]: http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_section/tar_68.html

Brandon