nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Witt <joe.w...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Adding 'apache-' to our artifact names
Date Sun, 15 Mar 2015 02:56:18 GMT
All,

We received feedback from an IPMC member who gave us a +1 on the vote
for 0.0.2 but provided what he called minor/trivial feedback.  The
statement he made was:

"Consider adding apache to source artefact names for possible extra
legal protection / branding"

This concept is discussed briefly in this section [1].

I had personally already seen this guidance and decided not to add it
as we were putting artifacts in initially.  My reasoning was:
 -  It is not required and of unclear value
 - It adds an additional seven characters to artifact names which are
often already quite long
 - We already have a maven group name of 'org.apache.nifi'
 - it didn't appear to me to be common practice among other projects

What does cause me to think twice about this though is this IPMC
member does a great job of reviewing releases and providing thoughtful
and very detailed feedback.

So I'd just like us to have a good consensus on this one.

If anyone feels strongly that we should add 'apache-' to our artifact
names please advise.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#naming

Thanks
Joe