nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Bress <dbr...@onyxconsults.com>
Subject Re: Distinguishing between 0.2.0 vs 0.1.1 ?
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2015 15:00:13 GMT
Aldrin,
   I agree that a roadmap of features/bug fixes and future versions would help (me) understand
the path forward.

    Do we anticipate our next release will be a bug fix release(0.1.1) or a feature release(0.2.0)
?

    Is there any reason we cannot work towards both of these releases simultaneously?

    If we decide to do a bug fix release, in which branch in git will those changes be made?
       - It feels like these changes would need to be done in a separate, so as not to include
the 0.2.0 features that people may be working on.

Dan Bress
Software Engineer
ONYX Consulting Services

From: Aldrin Piri <aldrinpiri@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2015 10:44 AM
To: dev@nifi.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Distinguishing between 0.2.0 vs 0.1.1 ?

Good questions and points of discussion.

I don't believe we have a clear path for handling this particular
distinction, and would advocate for the community to devise a roadmap (our
newly allocated Wiki would be a prime candidate).  We had a request for
features to tackle moving forward and received a lot of great feedback.
Would like to see maybe reviving that thread and figuring out a consensus
for the best path forward.  The things that are in 0.2.0 will likely need
some considerable planning and design, so creating associated pages for the
big features so we can hash that out, reference, and discuss would provide
a nice, collaborative space to help make those notions more concrete.

To that end, I think most tickets that provide these quick shots of
functionality and fixes are apt for another 0.1.x release in lieu of the
0.2.0.   As far as your concerns from branching, I think git actually buys
you a lot from this standpoint with its (relatively) easy branch management
and rebasing to keep branches good to go.  To that end, develop is still
the source for branches, however there may be logistics on when and how
that is merged depending on scope.

Not sure I completely follow the point about the release branch you
mention, although I think that may just be a remnant of the last release
process.  The appropriate version is captured as a tag as I would
anticipate.