nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Witt <joe.w...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fastest way to rebuild after changing processor
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2015 10:07:04 GMT
Rick,

As Esteban pointed out -DskipTests will make the build process faster.
That said, you can consider that the need to build standard procs is
generally quite rare.  It will surely offer a faster and more tailored
experience to have a nar for your extensions unless of course you want
to contribute the extensions as standard extensions to Apache NiFi.
We do have maven archetypes which make creating the nar structure very
simple.  You can see instructions on how this works here [1].

>From there the question is 'ok as I iterate how can I quickly get my
new code into a build to test'?  The approach I typically take is to
simply run a copy command to take my new target nar and write over
whatever nar I had there before in the lib directory and restart nifi.
Effectively two commands.

This process can be seem bulky if you are truly in a highly iterative
mode of coding/deploying/tweaking/deploying.  The way to often break
out of such a tight cycle is to develop some effective unit tests
though that isn't admittedly always very easy.

Anyway hope this helps a bit.  Others may have different experiences
to share here for how they manage that coding/deploying cycle.

Thanks
Joe

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Maven+Projects+for+Extensions