nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Bress <dbr...@onyxconsults.com>
Subject Re: 1.0.0 Branch Guidance
Date Tue, 29 Sep 2015 12:41:33 GMT
Aldrin,
   I definitely like the idea of creating separate branches for the 0.3.X work and the 1.X.X
work.

   My thoughts would be to make 'master' the 1.X version, and make a branch for the 0.3.X
work.  The reason being, I would imagine most of the work the community is doing should be
slated for 1.X, where as less work(e.g. bug fixes) be done in the 0.3.X branch.  And by making
master 1.0.0 it nudges people in that direction.  Also, I'm assuming that 0.3.X will just
be bug fixes at this point, and our next 'major' release will be 1.0.0.   Is that a fair assumption
to make?  If not, I might be more inclined to agree with your original suggestion, although
keeping that long living branch up to date with all the changes from master might be a maintenance
nightmare.

Dan Bress
Software Engineer
ONYX Consulting Services

From: Aldrin Piri <aldrinpiri@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2015 10:49 AM
To: dev@nifi.apache.org
Subject: 1.0.0 Branch Guidance

All,

We are starting to receive more items that are "breaking" changes
(deprecation of components and code being those that immediately come to
mind) and are accordingly scheduled for a 1.0.0 release.  I would like to
solicit the community for best practices on the introduction and
maintenance of a 1.0.0 branch so we can do so in a practical manner.

There are a few PRs/patches that are sitting in limbo because we do not
have an appropriate place to put them and would very much like to be able
to incorporate those changes and close them in lieu of waiting until master
reaches that juncture.

Any input on caveats, items to note, and any other items to be mindful of
is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!