nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Witt <joe.w...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LogAttribute - Sending that output to a custom logger?
Date Sun, 01 Nov 2015 17:41:05 GMT
Mark Petronic,

I share Payne's perspective on this.  But I'd also like to work with
you to better understand the workflow.  For those of us that have used
this tool for a long time there is a lot we take for granted from a
new user perspective.  We believe the provenance feature to provide a
far superior option to understanding how an item went through the
system and the timing and what we knew when and so on.  But, it would
be great to understand it from your perspective as someone learning
NiFi.  Not meaning to take away from your proposed contrib - that
would be great too.  Just want to see if the prov user experience
solves what you're looking for and if not can we make it do that.

Thanks
Joe

On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 11:23 AM, Mark Payne <markap14@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Mark,
>
> To make sure that I understand what you're proposing, you want to add a property to
> LogAttribute that allows users to provide a custom logger name?
>
> If that is indeed what you are suggesting then I think it's a great idea.
>
> That being said, in practice I rarely ever use LogAttribute and we even considered removing
> it from the codebase before we open sourced, because the Data Provenance provides a
> much better view of what's going on to debug your flows.
>
> I know you're pretty new to NiFi, so if you've not yet had a chance to play with the
Provenance,