nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Kurc <tk...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] git branching model
Date Sat, 13 Feb 2016 15:16:01 GMT
All,
I wanted to renew a discussion about our git branching model. We posted a
proposed roadmap a while back [1]. For those familiar, there are some
pretty big features that are going to be awesome, but at the same time, may
make having an overlap of supported major versions likely more desirable
due to the magnitude of changes on the way. It seems as though our current
de facto branching model may make that challenging. My observation is that
although we discussed doing something like gitflow [2], we seem to "just be
really careful around with master around a release" and move on to the next
release (and do some things I think are ugly if we need a quick bugfix
release like 0.4.1).

Some things I think we're happy with now. 'master' being our eternal
branch, and comfortable with feature branches named after their jiras. Its
pretty evident from looking at contributors' forks on github when doing PR
reviews that it is a pretty well understood convention.

I think we can find a way to keep the above going and still support
multiple versions being developed at once.

I have some ideas, but in order to avoid polluting the discussion with what
is in my head, I figured I'd hold off on suggestions and let people mull it
over.

Specific questions:
How do we;
- have a 1.X in development (many months, many features, and we want people
trying early)
- have 0.X continue to live while that is happening for people who need it
for production
- have some features target both 0.X and 1.X
- have relevant bugfixes hit both 0.X and 1.X
- avoid the pain of the 0.4.1 release?

What will master look like while we're doing this?
What will we call our branches?
Who would integrate patches and PRs into multiple versions? Reviewer?
Submitter? Or would this be another ticket?
What project does this well and could be a model?
What questions did I forget to ask?
Should we decide to only have one version "supported" at a time to avoid
this?

1.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/nifi-dev/201601.mbox/%3CCALJK9a4dMw9PyrrihpPwM7DH3R_4v8b%3Dr--LDhK7y5scob-0og%40mail.gmail.com%3E
2. http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/