nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Miskin <r.p.mis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Use of List<String> in StandardProvenanceEventRecord.Builder
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2016 18:42:04 GMT
Mark,Joe,

I’d spotted the ‘correlation attribute’ and I’d set that to a uuid relating to the
incoming request, that much is fine. The problem I had was how the set things up so that MergeContent
knows when it has got all the files. The options seemed to be batch size or time related,
neither of which seemed guaranteed to get all the FlowFiles together.

Looking again at MergeContent I could potentially use defragment rather then bin packing,
which would allow me to set the expected number of FlowFiles to merge.

The processor that loads from the database would probably still need to read all of the data
and place many FlowFiles on the queue in one commit to ensure only complete files can go out.

Thanks,
Richard

> On 15 Apr 2016, at 19:22, Mark Payne <markap14@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just to build on what Joe said - the correlation attribute can be used to ensure that
FlowFiles
> are bunched together appropriately. So you could, for instance, create an attribute named
"batch.id"
> and set it as UUID. So if you perform a query against your database, you can generate
a new UUID
> and then stamp that UUID on all FlowFiles that are generated from that query. Then, in
merge content
> you would said "Correlation Attribute" to "batch.id" and you should be good. Since this
attribute will be
> the same on all FlowFIles that get bundled together, it will also be retained in the
new, merged FlowFile,
> so you can use that same Correlation Attribute in the follow-on MergeContent processor.
>
>> On Apr 15, 2016, at 1:50 PM, Joe Witt <joe.witt@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Richard,
>>
>> MergeContent supports a concept called 'correlation attribute' which
>> will merge things together based on a matching correlation attribute
>> value.  That might be useful for your case.
>>
>> Regarding heap use you are observing i'd be happy to work through that
>> more with you.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Joe
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Richard Miskin <r.p.miskin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Mark,
>>>
>>> Thanks for pointer, I’d not spotted I was losing my provenance information.
I’d changed my code from transferring the temporary FlowFiles to a relationship that was
auto-terminated to using session.remove() and had assumed that the provenance report was the
same. I’ve just tested it and you’re quite right, using session.remove() discards the
provenance information.

>>> Heap usage has been an issue, but seems to be okay at present, admittedly with
several GB heap allocated.

>>> I did look at combining the files using one processor to load the data and then
using MergeContent to combine them. But every record loaded due to a specific request must
be combined into a single file and I couldn’t find a suitable way of guaranteeing that with
MergeContent.

>>> Thanks for your help,
>>> Richard

with a custom NiFi processor that I’ve written. When triggered by an incoming FlowFile,
the processor loads many (up to about 500,000) records from a database and produces an output
file in a custom format. I’m trying to leverage NiFi provenance to track what has gone into
the merged file, so the processor creates individual FlowFiles for each database record parented
from the incoming FlowFile and with various attributes set. The output FlowFile is then created
as a merge of all the database record FlowFiles.

the processor I call session.remove(Collection<FlowFile>) rather than transferring them.
This works fine for small numbers of records, but the call to remove gets very slow as the
number of FlowFiles increases, taking over a minute for 100,000 records.

the code I see that StandardProvenanceEventRecord.Builder contains a List<String> to
hold the child uuids. The call to session.remove() eventually calls down to List.remove(),
which will get progressively slower as the List grows.

be changed to be a Set<String>? Presumably there should never be duplicates, but does
the order of entries matter?