nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Payne <marka...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Use of List<String> in StandardProvenanceEventRecord.Builder
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2016 18:22:58 GMT
Just to build on what Joe said - the correlation attribute can be used to ensure that FlowFiles
are bunched together appropriately. So you could, for instance, create an attribute named
"batch.id"
and set it as UUID. So if you perform a query against your database, you can generate a new
UUID
and then stamp that UUID on all FlowFiles that are generated from that query. Then, in merge
content
you would said "Correlation Attribute" to "batch.id" and you should be good. Since this attribute
will be
the same on all FlowFIles that get bundled together, it will also be retained in the new,
merged FlowFile,
so you can use that same Correlation Attribute in the follow-on MergeContent processor.

> On Apr 15, 2016, at 1:50 PM, Joe Witt <joe.witt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Richard,
>
> MergeContent supports a concept called 'correlation attribute' which
> will merge things together based on a matching correlation attribute
> value.  That might be useful for your case.
>
> Regarding heap use you are observing i'd be happy to work through that
> more with you.
>
> Thanks
> Joe
>
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Richard Miskin <r.p.miskin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> Thanks for pointer, I’d not spotted I was losing my provenance information. I’d
changed my code from transferring the temporary FlowFiles to a relationship that was auto-terminated
to using session.remove() and had assumed that the provenance report was the same. I’ve
just tested it and you’re quite right, using session.remove() discards the provenance information.

>> Heap usage has been an issue, but seems to be okay at present, admittedly with several
GB heap allocated.

>> I did look at combining the files using one processor to load the data and then using
MergeContent to combine them. But every record loaded due to a specific request must be combined
into a single file and I couldn’t find a suitable way of guaranteeing that with MergeContent.

>> Thanks for your help,
>> Richard
>>
>>> On 15 Apr 2016, at 17:10, Mark Payne <markap14@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Richard,
>>>
>>> So the order of the children may be important for some people. It certainly is
reasonable to care
>>> about the order in which the children were created.
>>>
>>> The larger concern, though, would be that if we moved to a Set such as HashSet,
the difference
>>> in the amount of heap consumed is pretty remarkably different. Since this collection
is sometimes
>>> quite large, a Set would be potentially problematic.
>>>
>>> That said, with the approach that you are taking, I don't think you're going
to get the result that
>>> you are looking for, because as you remove the FlowFiles, the events generated
for them are
>>> also removed. So you won't end up getting any Provenance events anyway.
>>>
>>> One possible way to achieve what you are looking for is to instead emit each
of those FlowFiles
>>> individually and then use a MergeContent processor to merge the FlowFiles back
together.
>>> Using this approach, though, you will certainly run into heap concerns if you
are trying to merge
>>> 500,000 FlowFiles in a single iterations. Typically, the approach that we would
follow is to merge
>>> say 10,000 FlowFiles at a time and then have a subsequent MergeContent that would
merge
>>> together 50 of those 10,000-FlowFile-bundles.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Mark

a custom NiFi processor that I’ve written. When triggered by an incoming FlowFile, the processor
loads many (up to about 500,000) records from a database and produces an output file in a
custom format. I’m trying to leverage NiFi provenance to track what has gone into the merged
file, so the processor creates individual FlowFiles for each database record parented from
the incoming FlowFile and with various attributes set. The output FlowFile is then created
as a merge of all the database record FlowFiles.

processor I call session.remove(Collection<FlowFile>) rather than transferring them.
This works fine for small numbers of records, but the call to remove gets very slow as the
number of FlowFiles increases, taking over a minute for 100,000 records.

the code I see that StandardProvenanceEventRecord.Builder contains a List<String> to
hold the child uuids. The call to session.remove() eventually calls down to List.remove(),
which will get progressively slower as the List grows.

be changed to be a Set<String>? Presumably there should never be duplicates, but does
the order of entries matter?