nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Payne <marka...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Question concerning jetty server timeout in 0.5.1 HandleHttpRequest
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2016 17:46:43 GMT
Luke,

I have not yet heard of anyone else running into this, personally. Typically, when I've used
these
processors, I am expecting sub-second response times, not 30+ second response times. Of course,
your use case, though, is perfectly valid - just not something that I've ever run into myself.

I have submitted a new JIRA [1] to address this issue.

Thanks
-Mark

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-1732 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-1732>

> On Apr 1, 2016, at 12:32 PM, Stephen Coder - US <scoder@caci.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Nifi Team,
>

> I've been experimenting with the HandleHttpRequest/Response processors in Nifi 0.5.1,
and have noticed an issue that I've not been able to resolve. I'm hoping that I'm simply missing
a configuration item, but I've been unable to find the solution.

> The scenario is this: HandleHttpRequest --> Long Processing (> 30 seconds) -->
HandleHttpResponse. It appears that the jetty server backing the HandleHttpRequest has a built
in idle time timeout of 30000 ms (see jetty-server/src/main/java/org/eclipse/jetty/server/AbstractConnector.java
_idleTimeout value). In my test flow, 30 seconds after a HTTP requests comes in, a second
request comes into the flow. It has the same information, except the http.context.identifier
and the FlowFile UUID has changed, and the http.dispatcher.type has changed from REQUEST to
ERROR. From my online research (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30786939/jetty-replay-request-on-timeout?),
this re-request with a type of error comes in after jetty determines that a request has timed
out.

> This would not normally be a big deal. I was able to RouteOnAttribute and capture all
ERROR requests without responding. However, those requests are never cleared from the StandardHttpContextMap.
I've tested this by setting the number of requests allowed by the StandardHttpContextMap to
4, and done 4 of my long Request/Response tests. Each request is correctly responded to eventually
in my test, but because they take over 30 seconds each also generates an ERROR request that
is stored in the StandardHttpContextMap. If I then leave the system alone for much longer
than the Request Timeout parameter in the StandardHttpContextMap and then attempt a request,
I get a 503 response saying that the queue is full and no requests are allowed. No requests
are allowed at all until I delete and recreate the Map.

> It seems unlikely to me that no one has attempted to use these processors in this fashion.
However, looking through the unit test for this processor it seems like no where was a timeout
tested over 30 seconds, so I thought it worth a conversation.

> So finally, is there a configuration item to extend the jetty server's idle timeout?
Or is there a better way to ensure that the bogus requests don't get stuck permanently in
the StandardHttpContextMap? I appreciate any pointers you can give.