nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Payne <marka...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Zookeeper issues mentioned in a talk about storm / heron
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2016 13:31:17 GMT
Guys,

Certainly some great points here and important concepts to keep in mind!

One thing to remember, though, that very much differentiates NIFi from Storm
or HBase or Accumulo: those systems are typically expected to scale to hundreds
or thousands of nodes (you mention a couple hundred node HBase cluster being
"modest"). With NiFi, we are typically operating clusters on the order of several
nodes to dozens of nodes. A couple hundred nodes would be a pretty massive NiFi
cluster.

In terms of storing state, we could potentially get into more of a sticky situation
if not done carefully. However, we generally expect the "State Management" feature to be used
for
occasionally storing small amounts of state, such as for ListHDFS storing 2 timestamps
and we don't expect ListHDFS to be continually hammering HDFS asking for
a new listing. It may be scheduled to run once every few minutes for example.

That said, we certainly have been designing everything using appropriate interfaces
in such a way that if we do later decide that we want to use some other mechanism
for storing state and/or heartbeats, it should be a very reasonable path to
take advantage of some other service for one or both of these tasks.

Thanks
-Mark