nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Official Apache NiFi Docker Image
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2017 16:36:17 GMT
Cool, regex to work on the recent "rel/*" tagging scheme would work out
well!

I'd also give one word of caution about licensing (I don't think the ASF
as a whole has figured out how to navigate this). Essentially, a docker
image is a "convenience binary" and may contain GPL'ed things. Thus,
this would violate the traditional policy.

I don't bring that up to dissuade Jeremy or anyone from taking up the
work, just to make sure that you all are aware that this has been a
broad area of discussion :)

Aldrin Piri wrote:
> Thanks for the info, Josh.  Looks like these are building directly off of
> the ASF Github mirrors.
>
> Looks like a few projects have navigated the process [1] and INFRA would
> likely be the folks to make that happen.  Need to understand a bit more
> about what is appropriate in the context of ASF.  But, at minimum, we could
> create automated builds that only build release tags using a regex [2].
>
> [1]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-12019?jql=text%20~%20%22dockerhub%22%20and%20project%20%3D%20INFRA
> [2] https://docs.docker.com/docker-hub/builds/
>
> On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 2:07 PM, Josh Elser<elserj@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> FYI, there's also an "apache" space on dockerhub[1]. Sadly, I'm a little
>> unclear on how a project would actually go about pushing stuff there. Might
>> be some docs floating around or a ping to infra.
>>
>> [1] https://hub.docker.com/u/apache/
>>

>> Jeremy Dyer wrote:
>>
>>> Team,
>>>
>>> I wanted to discuss getting an official Apache NiFi Docker image similar
>>> other Apache projects like storm [1], httpd [2], thrift [3], etc.
>>>
>>> Official Docker images are hosted at http://www.dockerhub.com and made
>>> available to the Docker runtime of end users without them having to build
>>> the images themselves. The process of making a Docker image "official",
>>> meaning that it is validated and reviewed by a community of Docker folks
>>> for security flaws, best practices, etc, works very closely to how our
>>> standard contribution process to NiFi works today. We as a community would
>>> create our Dockerfile(s) and review them just like we review any JIRA
>>> today
>>> and then commit that against our codebase.
>>>
>>> There is an additional step from there in that once we have a commit
>>> against our codebase we would need an "ambassador" (I happily volunteer to
>>> handle this if there are no objections) who would open a Github Pull
>>> Request against the official docker image repo [4]. Once that PR has
>>> successfully been reviewed by the official repo folks it would be hosted
>>> on
>>> Dockerhub and readily available to end users.
>>>
>>> In my mind the steps required to reach this goal would be.
>>> 1. Create NiFi, MiNiFi, MiNiFi-CPP JIRAs for creating the initial folder
>>> structure and baseline Dockerfiles in each repo. I also volunteer myself
>>> take this on as well.
>>> 2. Once JIRA is completed, reviewed, and community thumbs up is given I
>>> will request the Dockerhub repo handle of "library/apachenifi" with the
>>> maintainer of that repos contact email as<dev@nifi.apache.org>
>>> 2a). I suggest we follow the naming structure like
>>> "library/apachenifi:nifi-1.1.0", "library/apachenifi:minifi-0.1.0",