nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Andy LoPresto <alopre...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Idea for visual access control policy application
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2017 20:38:41 GMT
I just opened NIFI-3370 [1] for “apply access control polices simultaneously to multiple
selected components” and related it to a previous large ticket NIFI-3115 [2] “enhance
user policy management functionality” with a grab bag of thoughts I had on that. I had another
idea for this but it’s a little out of left field so I wanted to get some community feedback
before I opened a ticket and see if people thought it was a good idea or too confusing/unnecessary.

Imagine the concept of “security zones” on the canvas. I diagrammed these with labels
currently, but we could obviously modify the appearance sufficiently (forgive the screenshot;
I was in the middle of reviewing a PR that doesn’t include restricted processors, nor was
it secured). The zone gets one or more policies defined (in my example “Not accessible by
Matt” or “Accessible only by HR group”) and then components can be dragged into/out
of the zone by an authorized user. Once a component is in the zone (and snapping would be
enabled to remove ambiguity about what is in or out if it overlaps), it inherits the policies
defined by that zone. The policies could be marked by origin (inherited from zone, applied
manually, etc.) and there is an audit log, so if the component is dragged out of the zone,
any policies only inherited from that zone could be removed and it would “re-inherit”
just the root policies. For only one or two components, it doesn’t save much time, but you
could drag snippets, flow sections, and process groups in and out of the zone.

I think this would make visual assignment and recognition of (sometimes complex) policies
much easier, and greatly reduce the amount of dialogs and searches that occur.

Very interested in feedback from the group at large. Could just be a wild goose chase and
there are better solutions out there.

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com