nifi-dev mailing list archives

From "Irizarry Jr., Nazario" <...@mitre.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Run Once scheduling
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2017 18:57:40 GMT
What tends to happen with these infrequent flows is that not only are they infrequent but they
also tend to change from one run to the next.  Thus the first time there might be a string
of processes but the next time (based on lessons learned from the first time) the run is modified,
or a new branch is added in the middle.  Thus in a sense the flows are in a continual state
of  modification/development.

The way this would be used is that  the processors in a flow would be configured to run once.
 Then on a particular run the user shift-clicks to select the portions  of the flow which
should run.  Then with multiple components selected they click on the Start in the Operate
palette.   As each processor finishes  its visual state goes back to stopped so that at the
end of the run all the processors are stopped and ready for the next “ad-hoc” run.

Naz Irizarry
MITRE Corp.
617-893-0074

> On Jan 12, 2017, at 1:02 PM, Joe Witt <joe.witt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Naz,
>
> Why not just leave all the processes running?  If the data only
> arrives periodically that is ok, right?
>
> Thanks
> Joe
>
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Irizarry Jr., Nazario <naz@mitre.org> wrote:
>> On a project that I am on we have been looking at using NiFi for orchestrations that
are invoked infrequently.  For example, once a month a new data input product becomes available
and then one wants to run it through a set of processing steps that can be nicely implemented
using NiFi processors.  However, using the interval or cron scheduling for this purpose begins
to get cumbersome after a while with the need to start and manually stop these occasional
flows.

>> It would be fairly easy to add an additional scheduling option - “Run Once” for
this use case.  The behavior would be that when a processor is set to run once it automatically
stops after it has successfully processed one input.