nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Kurc <trk...@gmail.com>
Subject RTC clarification
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2017 02:10:02 GMT
All, I was having a discussion with Mike Hogue - a recent contributor - off
list, and he had some questions about the review process. And largely the
root of the question was, if a non-committer reviews a patch or PR (which
Mike has spent some time doing), is that considered a "review"? I didn't
have the answers, so I went on a hunt for documentation. I started with the
Contributor Guide [1]. The guide describes reviewing, and calls out a
Reviewer role, but doesn't specifically point out that Reviewer is a
committer, just that a committer "can actively promote contributions into
the repository", and goes on to imply the non-committers can review.

Given this, I was unable to answer this question:
If a committer "X" submits a patch or PR, it is reviewed by a non-committer
"Y", does that review satisfy the RTC requirement, and "X" may merge in the
patch?

I found a related discussion on the email list in March [2], which I think
implies at least some of the community assumed the canonical review must be
by a committer. I also went back a bit to early days [3], where Benson
implied a much less "formal" review process.

What I'm hoping for is hopefully come to a consensus of what our project
expectations are and document in the Contributor Guide. My expectation was
that non-committers could review, similar to what Sean discussed on this
thread for Apache Gossip (incubating) [4]. However, I don't believe this is
the current consensus.

Thoughts?

Tony

1.