nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Andy LoPresto <alopre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NiFI 1.4.0 UI can't be displayed in an IFrame?
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2017 02:59:56 GMT
Virgil,

This was intentionally introduced via NIFI-3907 [1] in Apache NiFi 1.3.0 as a mitigation for
CVE-2017-7667 [2]. Prior to this change, a malicious site could have displayed the NiFi UI
and introduced invisible overlays such that an unsuspecting user would perform actions like
entering sensitive credentials into a malicious form field. See here [3] and here [4] for
further information on Cross Frame Scripting / Clickjacking, as the attack is called.

If you have some kind of enterprise portal and have a legitimate need to display a NiFi UI
within a frame that is not hosted on the same origin, you can resort to modifying the value
provided to the response header in the filter here [5]. If you need this as an included feature
in NiFi (for example, a configurable URI in nifi.properties), I suggest raising a Jira ticket,
but I have to caution that it would be a low priority, as this actively weakens the security
of the system and is not a common use case.

[2] https://nifi.apache.org/security.html#CVE-2017-7667
[3] https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Cross_Frame_Scripting <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Cross_Frame_Scripting>
[4] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms533028%28VS.85%29.aspx <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms533028(VS.85).aspx>
[5] https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/master/nifi-nar-bundles/nifi-framework-bundle/nifi-framework/nifi-web/nifi-jetty/src/main/java/org/apache/nifi/web/server/JettyServer.java#L1000