Jim,

To be honest, I would recommend making those changes directly to the existing PublishAMQP processor, as unless I am missing something, that does not seem like a breaking change that would affect other users negatively. I’d suggest opening a Jira for the feature, cloning the GitHub repository (see the instructions in the Contributor Guide [1]), making the changes in your branch, building and testing, and then submitting a PR (or patch) for review and inclusion in the project. This will also require the least amount of code manipulation (example of a commit from Andre adding EL evaluation to a property descriptor [2]).

If you do not wish to do that, my next recommendation would be to clone the project and create a new processor in the same Maven module (and add it to the MANIFEST) alongside PublishAMQP (call it PublishAMQPWithEL or something) and extend the existing PublishAMQP class and override just the specific behavior you are interested in.

A possible, but in my opinion unnecessary, process would be to add a completely new NAR with the existing nifi-amqp-bundle/nifi-amqp-processors artifact listed as a dependency and perform your extension in your own NAR.

Hope this helps.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Contributor+Guide
[2] https://github.com/apache/nifi/commit/84f1fb395963614a2ff78a615c92fc79a52e2942

Andy LoPresto