nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Andy LoPresto <alopre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Will you accept contributions in Scala?
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2018 18:35:11 GMT
Hi Adam,

It’s great that your team wants to contribute to NiFi. I think there should be some discussion
from other community members on this, but I’ll give my view here. At this time, I believe
we should only accept core contributions in Java. It’s not because I have a predisposition
against Scala or any other language (frankly, I would prefer to write my processors in Groovy),
but because Apache prioritizes community over code, and in order to make the code accessible
to the community at large, Java is the standard for this project.

That said, I think there are some important ways you can contribute in other languages:

* Testing — while we try to ensure the “production” code is pure Java, the test frameworks
around NiFi can use other languages. We currently have a number of tests in Groovy/Spock.
* Custom repositories — you are welcome to publish processors written in Scala on GitHub/Maven
and anyone in the community who is interested can add that functionality into their installations
very easily.

Hopefully this helps guide your instruction to your interns. If others in the community feel
strongly about this, I hope they weigh in.

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com

> On Feb 9, 2018, at 6:00 AM, Weiss, Adam <Adam.Weiss@PERKINELMER.COM> wrote:
>
> Devs,
>
> I have some interns starting with my team and we use Scala internally for our work.
> If I wanted to have them work to contribute some new processors, would they have to be
Java to be included with the base distribution or could they use Scala as long as it fit within
your current build and test process?