nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Bende <bbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pheonix client jar required for HBase conn
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2018 18:27:07 GMT
Adam,

The ClassSize class comes from hbase-common [1] so I'm not sure how
that would related to the Phoenix client JAR. What version of HBase
was this against?

The only case I know of that needs the Phoenix client jar is when
Phoenix has been installed which then modifies the HBase config files
to specify some class names that come from phoenix client JAR.

As far as Java 10, there has been an on-going effort to become
compatible with Java 9+, but it is a non-trivial effort and not
complete yet [2].

Thanks,

Bryan

[1] https://github.com/apache/hbase/blob/rel/1.1.2/hbase-common/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/util/ClassSize.java

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 1:47 PM, Martini, Adam <Adam.Martini@nike.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We were struggling with our HBase client connection in the NiFi 1.7.1 release. We are
not using Phoenix and our client was erroring with a missing class exception:

> Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.ClassSize
>                 at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.IPCUtil.<init>(IPCUtil.java:72)
>                 at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.AbstractRpcClient.<init>(AbstractRpcClient.java:91)
>                 at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl.<init>(RpcClientImpl.java:1113)
>                 at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl.<init>(RpcClientImpl.java:1139)
>                 ... 33 common frames omitted
>
> Adding a Phoenix client (which we do not need) helps resolve this class dependency, but
fails if NiFi is running on Java 10:

> Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected version format: 10.0.1
>     at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.ClassSize.<clinit>(ClassSize.java:119)
>     ... 37 common frames omitted
>
> Starting NiFi with Java 9 fixes this error, but complicates our devops as Java 9 is no
longer supported and cannot be installed via package management.

> Please fix this dependency issue so that a Phoenix client is not required to resolve
the org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.ClassSize class. Also, please migrate to Java 10 as soon
as possible.