nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Bende <bbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lowering the barrier of entry
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2019 16:12:57 GMT
What does everyone think about bumping the "Developer" section of the
docs ahead of "Processors" so that it's easier to find?

Here is what it would look like -
https://gist.github.com/bbende/279c983f5c80d4fad1431ae81862060f

I also added links to the "Contributor Guide" and the "Maven Projects"
page since I think it would be helpful to make the Developer section
be the one-stop place people look for development help, although I can
see an argument for not mixing wiki content with the docs content.

One issue would be if we want the docs to be fully usable in an
off-line environment, then linking to the wiki won't work, so we could
remove those links, or convert those pages to be part of the docs now
that they are more stable.

For reference, we already have some links in the docs to the wiki:

https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/developer-guide.html#supplying-a-contribution

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 10:49 AM Joe Witt <joe.witt@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...we can.  but the discussion is about how to both lower the bar and offer
> more routes to the bar.
>
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2019, 10:45 AM Otto Fowler <ottobackwards@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Why wouldn’t we make the archetypes do this?
> >

> > On January 25, 2019 at 18:04:25, Andy LoPresto (alopresto@apache.org)
> > wrote:
> >
> > James,
> >
> > I’m wondering if a page outlining a toy processor (something like
> > `CountText` or `ReverseContent`) and doing a line-by-line annotation from a
> > developer’s perspective would be helpful. It could be a few sections:
> >
> > 1. How to get to this point
> > * running the maven archetype
> > * choosing the directory to install to
> > * putting the class name in the manifest file
> > * etc.
> > 2. The code
> > * here’s the class
> > * here’s what extending AbstractProcessor gets you, etc. A lot of this is
> > currently in the Developer Guide, but in textbook mode
> > * here’s how to modify some code (i.e. write one line of Java that switches
> > it from straight content pass-through to reversing the text)
> > * here’s how to make a unit test (introduce the TestRunner framework, etc.)
> > 3. Running, building, installing
> > * Run your unit test from the IDE/maven
> > * Build the NAR module
> > * Install the NAR in NiFi lib/ or custom/
> > * Restart NiFi
> > * See the NAR loaded in the log
> > * Deploy the component on the canvas
> >
> > I imagine this being written more conversationally/blog-like than most of
> > our current reference documentation to be used as a split-screen
> > walkthrough. Each section could certainly link to the existing detailed
> > documentation for various topics, like the processor lifecycle, etc.
> >
> > Does this sounds like something that would have helped you?
> >
> > Andy LoPresto
> > alopresto@apache.org
> > alopresto.apache@gmail.com
> > PGP Fingerprint: 70EC B3E5 98A6 5A3F D3C4 BACE 3C6E F65B 2F7D EF69
> >
> > > On Jan 25, 2019, at 1:59 PM, James Srinivasan <
> > james.srinivasan@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > 9) Oh, and the wiki is a little hard to navigate and the contents rather
> > patchy

> > screen)

> > the
> > rather