nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Bende <bbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NiFi Toolkit CLI Token Creation
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2019 18:36:33 GMT
Ah thanks for pointing that out, I completely forgot that apparently I
was thinking ahead in the JerseyNiFiClient of how we could support
tokens :)

You would need to make the same changes in the
JerseyNiFiRegistryClient, and then build a new toolkit based on a new
version of nifi-registry-client.

Also, you are correct that we could support username/password, but I
think Kerberos is much better from a security perspective since you
don't really need to give your credentials to the CLI. With
username/password, you would either need to add those properties to
the .props files for the CLI, which then gets into encrypting the
password, or you need to provide them on a command as arguments which
again gets into whether the password is in plain text or not.

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 2:28 PM Shawn Weeks <sweeks@weeksconsulting.us> wrote:

> Got it, I've been trying to read some of this on my phone and missed something. Currently
it looks like the NiFi Client JerseyNiFiClient.java was setup to support token(JWT) based
requests but from what I can tell those methods are never called anywhere. NiFi Registry Client
only implemented the implicit security and proxied entity methods.

> It looks like I should be able to lookup the auth token and add it to the Jersey WebTarget
Headers in the two clients so it would be there on every request. I'll have to do some testing
but that might not require too many changes. In theory it could also support username/password
auth as well doing it the same way.

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29056051/adding-authorization-header-to-jersey-sse-client-request
>
> Thanks
> Shawn
>
> On 6/13/19, 1:04 PM, "Bryan Bende" <bbende@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     I'm not sure if I confused things... the clients that I mentioned are
>     wrappers for the REST API implemented with Jersey client, so the CLI
>     does exclusively use the REST API.
>
>     I was just drawing attention to the clients to say that part of the
>     work is outside of the CLI in nifi-registry-client to allow it to
>     support kerberos auth.
>
>     On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 1:54 PM Shawn Weeks <sweeks@weeksconsulting.us> wrote:
>     >
>     > Ok, I was thinking the CLI used the Rest API exclusively and that's what I was
missing. Unfortunately I don't have the option to use self-signed certificate due to organizational
security policies and we don't have a way to get SSL Certificates issued to individuals only
servers.
>     >
>     > Thanks
>     > Shawn
>     >
>     > On 6/13/19, 12:30 PM, "Bryan Bende" <bbende@gmail.com> wrote:
>     >
>     >     Just to further elaborate, within the CLI there are commands that work
>     >     against registry and commands that work against NiFi. For registry
>     >     commands, they use the Java client that is provided by registry [1].
>     >     For NiFi commands, there is mini client developed as need with in the
>     >     CLI [2].
>     >
>     >     None of these client calls currently have any concept of a JWT/token.
>     >
>     >     In order to do the kerberos auth correctly across both systems, I
>     >     think both of these clients would need to be updated to support a
>     >     method that called the /access/kerberos end point to obtain a token,
>     >     and then also provide a way to pass back that token on future
>     >     requests. It would likely be the CLI's job to store that token
>     >     somewhere (in memory for interactive shell, or on filesystem for
>     >     individual executions) and pass it back on each request. In order to
>     >     call the /access/kerberos end-point there also needs to be code in the
>     >     client that handles the negotiation to provide the kerberos
>     >     credentials that are present from having done a kinit.
>     >
>     >     Long story short, Andy's first suggest would be a much easier option
>     >     with no code changes.
>     >
>     >     [1] https://github.com/apache/nifi-registry/tree/master/nifi-registry-core/nifi-registry-client
>     >     [2] https://github.com/apache/nifi/tree/master/nifi-toolkit/nifi-toolkit-cli/src/main/java/org/apache/nifi/toolkit/cli/impl/client
>     >
>     >     On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 1:28 PM Andy LoPresto <alopresto@apache.org>
wrote:
>     >     >
>     >     > You’ll probably have to write (minimal) code to expose the ClientBuilder
constructor/factory methods to the part that parses command-line arguments.
>     >     >
>     >     > Andy LoPresto
>     >     > alopresto@apache.org
>     >     > alopresto.apache@gmail.com
>     >     > PGP Fingerprint: 70EC B3E5 98A6 5A3F D3C4  BACE 3C6E F65B 2F7D EF69
>     >     >
>     >     > > On Jun 13, 2019, at 10:27 AM, Shawn Weeks <sweeks@weeksconsulting.us>
wrote:
>     >     > >
>     >     > > Is there a way to pass 2 currently? Because you can get the token
via curl like I’m currently doing?
>     >     > >
>     >     > > Thanks
>     >     > > Shawn
>     >     > >
>     >     > > Sent from my iPhone
>     >     > >
>     >     > >> On Jun 13, 2019, at 12:21 PM, Andy LoPresto <alopresto@apache.org>
wrote:
>     >     > >>
>     >     > >> I see a couple choices here:
>     >     > >>
>     >     > >> 1. Use the CA to generate and sign a new certificate for deployments.
This certificate would not be as sensitive as the server certificate, as you can put stricter
permissions on that identity within the NiFi access controls, and the cert would be issued
for a DN that cannot be used to impersonate the server itself. Use this certificate to authenticate
for deployment activities.
>     >     > >> 2. Manually extract the user’s JWT from the Developer Tools
in your browser and pass that into the CLI. This token expires regularly, so you will need
to continually update it.
>     >     > >> 3. Build the Kerberos implementation of the authentication
aspects of the CLI toolkit.
>     >     > >>
>     >     > >> Andy LoPresto
>     >     > >> alopresto@apache.org
>     >     > >> alopresto.apache@gmail.com
>     >     > >> PGP Fingerprint: 70EC B3E5 98A6 5A3F D3C4  BACE 3C6E F65B
2F7D EF69
>     >     > >>
>     >     > >>> On Jun 13, 2019, at 10:00 AM, Shawn Weeks <sweeks@weeksconsulting.us>
wrote:
>     >     > >>>
>     >     > >>> For our organization the server certificate is considered
sensitive and not available to the users who need to deploy to NiFi. Actual authentication
to NiFi is handled through Knox and our SSO Service so the end user never deals with SSL or
has access to a certificate. Originally I started down the path of writing a bunch of tools
based on NiPyAPI to handle deployments but since the CLI already does that I was hoping to
save some work. Currently we do several other things via rest using the Kerberos Token.
>     >     > >>>
>     >     > >>> As I looked through the tool kit CLI I was seeing that
auth token being passed into all the rest calls so I was hoping I could hijack wherever that
was being generated via 2way ssl and add an option to call Kerberos instead to get the token.
When I say token I mean the auth bearer token that you can get from a post request to /access/kerberos
in NiFi and /access/token/Kerberos in NiFi registry.
>     >     > >>>
>     >     > >>> Thanks
>     >     > >>> Shawn
>     >     > >>>
>     >     > >>> On 6/12/19, 12:06 PM, "Bryan Bende" <bbende@gmail.com>
wrote:
>     >     > >>>
>     >     > >>>  I meant to say that you obviously could generate certs
for CLI users, but I
>     >     > >>>  was just mentioning an alternative where you can proxy
an identity.
>     >     > >>>
>     >     > >>>  Right now the CLI never obtains a token because it is
all cert based.
>     >     > >>>
>     >     > >>>>  On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 1:03 PM Bryan Bende <bbende@gmail.com>
wrote:
>     >     > >>>>
>     >     > >>>> Right now the idea is that whoever is running the
CLI would have access to
>     >     > >>>> a NiFi server certificate and then you can proxy any
user you want. There
>     >     > >>>> should be examples of this in the readme or toolkit
guide.
>     >     > >>>>
>     >     > >>>> Supporting Kerberos auth was something I wanted to
do, but it’s definitely
>     >     > >>>> not a trivial effort.
>     >     > >>>>
>     >     > >>>> On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 12:57 PM Andy LoPresto <alopresto@apache.org>
>     >     > >>>> wrote:
>     >     > >>>>
>     >     > >>>>> Shawn,
>     >     > >>>>>
>     >     > >>>>> I’m not sure I understand your question.
>     >     > >>>>>
>     >     > >>>>> I am in the process of refactoring the TLS Toolkit
to integrate with
>     >     > >>>>> public certificate authorities, so in the near
future it will be easier to
>     >     > >>>>> use certificates signed by external authorities
rather than self-signed.
>     >     > >>>>>
>     >     > >>>>> My understanding is that you are talking about
the CLI Toolkit rather
>     >     > >>>>> than the TLS Toolkit, but your reference to “token”
was ambiguous, so I’m
>     >     > >>>>> going to proceed with the understanding that you
are referring to the JWT
>     >     > >>>>> token used to identify an authenticated user when
communicating with the
>     >     > >>>>> NiFi API.
>     >     > >>>>>
>     >     > >>>>> You may want to look at JerseyNiFiClient [1],
which has methods for
>     >     > >>>>> getting various clients given an authentication
token.
>     >     > >>>>>
>     >     > >>>>> You can create the token via the POST /access/kerberos
API [2].
>     >     > >>>>>
>     >     > >>>>> [1]
>     >     > >>>>> https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/master/nifi-toolkit/nifi-toolkit-cli/src/main/java/org/apache/nifi/toolkit/cli/impl/client/nifi/impl/JerseyNiFiClient.java#L163
>     >     > >>>>> <
>     >     > >>>>> https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/master/nifi-toolkit/nifi-toolkit-cli/src/main/java/org/apache/nifi/toolkit/cli/impl/client/nifi/impl/JerseyNiFiClient.java#L163
>     >     > >>>>>>
>     >     > >>>>> [2] https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/rest-api/index.html
<
>     >     > >>>>> https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/rest-api/index.html>
>     >     > >>>>>
>     >     > >>>>> Andy LoPresto
>     >     > >>>>> alopresto@apache.org
>     >     > >>>>> alopresto.apache@gmail.com
>     >     > >>>>> PGP Fingerprint: 70EC B3E5 98A6 5A3F D3C4  BACE
3C6E F65B 2F7D EF69
>     >     > >>>>>
>     >     > >>>>>> On Jun 12, 2019, at 9:39 AM, Shawn Weeks <sweeks@weeksconsulting.us>
>     >     > >>>>> wrote:
>     >     > >>>>>> I work in an environment reluctant to create
self signed ssl
>     >     > >>>>> certificates and I’m looking at the feasibility
of having the toolkit cli
>     >     > >>>>> authenticate via Kerberos. I was expecting it
to be as simple as adding
>     >     > >>>>> another way to get the authentication token but
I’m having trouble figuring