nifi-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Grande <agra...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Feature proposal: Streamline visual flow design
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2015 17:11:07 GMT
I just had the same idea today. Would like to have double-click open the Properties pane of
a processor, this is the majority of use cases.

I am against making the action customizable, though. This is a case where less is more for
a UX and provides a consistent experience across all deployments (just imaging if someone
swapped start/stop and an operator expected a Props screen. Oops!)

Andrew

From: Charlie Frasure <charliefrasure@gmail.com<mailto:charliefrasure@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, November 13, 2015 at 9:13 AM
To: "users@nifi.apache.org<mailto:users@nifi.apache.org>" <users@nifi.apache.org<mailto:users@nifi.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Feature proposal: Streamline visual flow design

Apologies, not sure how to properly respond to an old thread.  (Maybe that's the idea.)  I
was looking through the archives before posting some usability comments about the UI and turned
up a couple of threads in September.

If we did automatically open the configuration screen when a processor was dropped on the
canvas, a quick press of ESC seems to back out nicely.  A possible compromise for the processor
configuration could be a double-click to open behavior, as it seems this action is not currently
assigned.  Better yet, a user-configurable double click action (start/stop, configure, data
provenance, etc) would be nice.

The other enhancements mentioned would be great as well.

Rob Moran <rmo...@gmail.com<mailto:rmo...@gmail.com>>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Feature proposal: Streamline visual flow design
Date    Thu, 10 Sep 2015 19:09:44 GMT

So far there seems to be a couple in agreement to leave the add processor
behavior as is. My use of *inconsistency* was referring the simple fact
that behavior is different. Add a processor - no dialog; draw a connection
- same type of dialog appears to take action. Perhaps we design a more
intuitive way to quickly “configure” a connection when drawn. It could be a
small in-place editor <http://ui-patterns.com/patterns/InplaceEditor> that
appears when the connection is drawn allowing a quick, localized
configuration to take place.