Russel,

         What version of NiFi are your running?

Thanks,
Matt

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 9:32 AM, Ritenour, Russell C. <Russell.C.Ritenour@leidos.com> wrote:

Matt;

Thanks for suggestion.   The meesage is definitely related to when the flow contains the remote process group (not necessarily the site-to-site communication).   When I remove the RPG from the flow, the message stops appearing.   Adding it back, generates the message.

I took your suggestion and made sure the niagarafiles.remote.input.socket.host value was set on dev1 and restarted the nifi instance on both dev1 and dev2.   Upon reboot, I see a message in dev1's log with the message:

... Unable to determine whether or not site-to-site communications  with peer should be secure

I'm guessing that validates your thought on the network (and/or the SSL setup) is incorrect on these machines.  Is there a good way to test how NIFI is determining the IP?   Note, I tried using the IP directly but got error messages in the log that the HTTPS hostname is wrong.

From: Matthew Clarke [matt.clarke.138@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2016 5:42 PM
To: users@nifi.apache.org
Subject: Re: trouble with remote process groups.

Russ,
  The message you provided had nothing to do with your site-to-site not working between hosts. The likely problem is caused by unknown host problems. In your NiFi.properties configuration file under the site-to-site section there are 3 properties (host, port, and secure). My guess is you configured a port and change secure to false but left host blank. It if likely your host is resolving to localhost and sending that in the connection URL for S2S communication. Try populating host with a hostname that the other NiFi can resolve our an IP and restart. Let us know if that solves your S2S problem.

Thanks,
Matt