John,

The feature you're describing is our multi-tenant dataflow [1]. We are currently still in the planning stages though we should have some mockups that we will post in the coming weeks.

Currently, to support your use case, each student would need to install NiFi in their $HOME directory. Each instance could all be configured to authenticate users with your central Directory Server.

Thanks.

Matt

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Multi-Tentant+Dataflow