Jeff, what you are describing is in works and actively discussed
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Extension+Registry
and
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Component+documentation+improvements

The last one may not directly speaks to the “ExtensionRegistry”, but if you look through he comments there is a whole lot about it since it is dependent.
Feel free to participate, but I can say for now that it is slated for 1.0 release.

Cheers
Oleg