Jeff,
      NiFi gives users the ability to create snapshot backups of their flow.xml through the "back-up flow" link found under the "controller settings" (Icon looks like wrench and screwdriver in upper right corner).  The default nifi.properties configuration will write these back-ups to a directory called archive inside teh <nifi-root-install>/conf directory, but you can of course change were they are written.

Matt