nifi-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Psaltis <psaltis.and...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Logstash/ Filebeat/ Lumberjack -> Nifi
Date Sat, 07 May 2016 15:43:09 GMT
Hi Conrad,
Based on your email it sounds like you are potentially just getting started
with Logstash. The one thing I can share is that up until recently I worked
in an environment where we had ~3,000 nodes deployed and all either had
Logstash or Flume (was transitioning to Logstash). We used Puppet and the
Logstash module was in the base templates so as App developers provisioned
new nodes Logstash was automatically deployed and configured. I can tell
you that it seems really easy at first, however, my team was always messing
with, tweaking, and troubleshooting the Logstash scripts as we wanted to
ingest different data sources, modify how the data was captured, or fix
bugs. Knowing now what I do about NiFi, if I had a chance to do it over
again (will be talking to old colleagues about it) I would just use Nifi on
all of those edge nodes and then send the data to central NiFi cluster. To
me there are at least several huge benefits to this:

   1. You use one tool, which provides an amazingly easy and very powerful
   way to control and adjust the dataflow all without having to muck with any
   scripts. You can easily filter / enrich / transform the data at the edge
   node all via a UI.
   2. You get provenance information from the edge all the way back. This
   is very powerful, you can actually answer the questions from others of "how
   come my log entry never made it to System X" or even better how the data
   was changed along the way. The "why did my log entry make it to System X"
   sometimes can be answered via searching through logs, but that also assumes
   you have the information in the logs to begin with. I can tell you that
   these questions will come up. We had data that would go through a pipeline
   and finally into HDFS. And we would get the questions from app developers
   when they queried the data in Hive and wanted to know why certain log
   entries were missing.

Hope this helps.

In good health,
Andrew