Out of memory errors in your app log indicate insufficient heap in your nifi JVM to run your workflow/dataflow. Not knowing what your workflow looks like, I can not suggest what may be using up your heap. However, if your server has the memory capacity, you can increase the size of your NiFi's heap in the bootstrap.conf file. The defaults if you have not changed them are set to 512 MB. While defaults are great for simple flows, it is not adequate for larger dataflows and data volumes.

On May 16, 2016 6:53 PM, "Keith Lim" <Keith.Lim@ds-iq.com> wrote:

Thanks Andy,

There was an out-of-memory error which I didn't mention in the log.  I decided to clear out the 4 repository directories, thinking that I may have to redo the workflow again.  I was pleasantly surprised to see when it started up, all my  workflow intact.

Good to know where the actual workflow is stored.

Thanks,
Keith

From: Andy LoPresto <alopresto@apache.org>
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2016 3:35 PM
To: users@nifi.apache.org
Subject: Re: Starting Nifi encounters "unexpected error"

Keith,

Can you check the <install dir>/logs/nifi-bootstrap.log and <install dir>/logs/nifi-app.log files to see if there is an error explaining why the app does not start up?

The workflow itself is saved as <install dir>/conf/flow.xml.gz. I understand this terminology can be confusing — a “flowfile” is the atomic unit of data in NiFi, and references the associated content and provenance records as it passes through the data flow. The data flow file (what you called your workflow) is not a “flowfile” and is stored at the location above. It is a (compressed) XML representation of the data flow.

Because you deleted the content_repository, you will not be able to resume operation on the data that was queued or being processed at the time the server went down. You may still have flowfiles marked for processing in the flowfile_repository, and you may have to clear those out. In the future, don’t delete the repositories when recovering from a server failure unless further debugging demonstrates it is absolutely required. NiFi is fairly resilient about resuming processing after the machine is restored.

Let us know if this does not help.

Andy LoPresto