Good evening,

I am a new member to the community so I do not know much about the current needs.
Still I'd like to point at gitter.im which has an open-sourced IRC bridge (https://irc.gitter.im/) for the heavy IRC users.
Overall imho a good Slack alternative, its aim is to provide chatrooms for developers.

Best
John