nifi-users mailing list archives

From "Peddy, Sai" <Sai.Pe...@capitalone.com>
Subject Re: Getting the number of logs
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2016 16:46:48 GMT
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the response. Yes, that’s essentially what I needed. However, we are on an older
version of NIFI and currently updating isn’t yet possible. We’ve decided it might be better
to create a custom processor to use internally – which will essentially update the specific
counter value in counters – which is already available in NIFI. Then using an API call from
a different codebase we will retrieve the counter value and reset it.

Thanks,
Sai Peddy
From: Joe Percivall <joepercivall@yahoo.com>
Date: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 8:16 PM
To: "users@nifi.apache.org" <users@nifi.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Getting the number of logs

Hello Sai,

I'm gonna paraphrase what I think your use-case is first, let me know if this is wrong. You
want to keep track of the number of logs coming in and every hour you want to document how
many came in in that hour. Currently NiFi doesn't handle this type of "stateful" event processing
very well and with what NiFi currently offers you are very limited.

That said, I've done some work in order to help NiFi into the "stateful" event processing
space that may help you. I currently have an open PR[1] to add state to UpdateAttribute. This
allows you keep stateful values (like a count) and even acts as a Stateful Rule Engine (using
UpdateAttribute's 'Advanced Tab').

So in order to solve your use-case you can set up one stateful UpdateAttribute along your
main flow that counts all your incoming FlowFiles. Then add a GenerateFlowFile processor running
on an hourly cron job that is routed to the stateful UpdateAttribute to act as a trigger.
When the Stateful UpdateAttribute is triggered it adds the count as an attribute of the triggering
flowfile and resets the count. Then just do a RouteOnAttribute after the stateful UpdateAttribute
to separate the triggering FlowFile from the incoming data and put it to ElasticSearch.

That may not have been the best explanation and if not I can create a template and take screenshots
tomorrow if you're interested. One thing to keep in mind though, this stateful processing
does have a limitation in this PR in that it will only work with local state. So no tracking
counts across a whole cluster, just per node.

[1] https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/319

Joe

Joseph Percivall
linkedin.com/in/Percivall