nifi-users mailing list archives

From Russell Bateman <r...@windofkeltia.com>
Subject Re: Service controller list NiFi 0.x to 1.x
Date Tue, 16 May 2017 19:53:07 GMT
Thanks, Andrew!

(From [1]:) "/This means that the service will be available to all
Processors and Controller Services defined in that Process Group _and
below_./"

In my experience, this isn't true. If I create a controller _via the
General menu_ in the very root of my NiFi canvas, configure its name in
Settings, calling it Jack, then I create a new process group, then
configure a new processor in that group, when I try to configure to use
the controller, Jack is not among the options.

In order for the statement above to be true, I have to create it _via
the gear icon_ in the Operate menu/palette.

Is this not what you see?

So, beginning sometime in 1.x, the Controller Settings option in the
General menu became useless, even at the top level except for "all
ReportingTasks and services defined in the Controller Settings." But,
when would any reporting task or other service defined be able to
benefit? Never if I'm any judge.

I think this is much more than a mere documentation issue. I wonder if
removing the Controller Services... option from the General menu would
not be the most important thing to do (even before documenting the gear
icon in the Operate menu).

Russ

On 05/16/2017 10:05 AM, Andrew Lim wrote:
> Hi Russell,
>
> Thanks for your question.
>
> Yes, working with Controller Services has definitely changed in 1.x compared to 0.x NiFi.
 Matt Gilman wrote a nice article about how Controller Service scoping was updated in 1.x
with the introduction of Multi-Tenant Authorization and also discusses the recent improvements
made in NiFi 1.2 to alleviate some of the user confusion around scoping [1].   If you would
like to see further details, the parent Jira for the improvements can be found here [2].

> I think there is opportunity to improve the Apache documentation we have around this
functionality, so I just filed a new Jira [3].

> Let us know if you have any more questions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Drew
>
> [1] https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/90259/understanding-controller-service-availability-in-a.html
>

>> On May 16, 2017, at 11:28 AM, Russell Bateman <russ@windofkeltia.com> wrote:
>>
>> It appears to me that that, unlike what happened in NiFi 0.x, in 1.x when I look
at controller services via the General menu -> Controller Services, what I see is totally
different from what I see when I configure controller services for a processor.

>> If I use the General menu to set up my controller services, I do not see nor am I
given the option of using them in particular for processors I'm configuring. Instead, I appear
to get a "Process Group Configuration and a list of controller services which are not the
ones I'm looking for (because when I set them up, I gave them "special" names or renamed names
I could recognize apart from any other use).

>> Note: I'm more of a processor and controller service author than an experienced user
of NiFi, so I may just be hopelessly confused.

>> My question is what's the point of being able to configure controller services "globally"
or "generally" if you can't reach them when you need them?

>> Please confirm that I'm not just smoking funny weed and that this is different, in
fact, from how it worked in 0.7.1.