nifi-users mailing list archives

From Mark Payne <marka...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Drop event disordering
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2017 16:21:48 GMT
Omer,

This is likely an issue related to the order in which we generate those events in the framework.
Do you mind filing a JIRA?

Thanks
-Mark

> On Nov 22, 2017, at 10:51 AM, Omer Hadari <hadari.omer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi!
> We’ve been using NiFi for a while now, and we save all provenance events for logging
purposes and such. We encountered an issue while looking at lineages of some flow files, which
showed drop events as if they happened before another event, that in fact preceded it (and
indeed has a lower event ordinal).

> For example in a split json processor, the original FlowFile is dropped after all splits
happen and are assigned fragment counts, but still the timestamp of the drop event is earlier
than the timestamp of the attributes modified event. That causes the graph to look as if the
attributes modified event comes out of the drop event, which doesn’t really make sense to
us (should it?). It’s probably worth noting that the drop event ordinal is higher than the
attributes modified event ordinal. Also we noticed that
> 1. This only happens every once per a few thousand events.
> 2. This does not reproduce by replaying.
> 3. The drop event’s timestamp is earlier by 1ms in the cases we encountered, and the
ordinal is always larger by one.

> This might be an error with the split json processor or a more general one. We’d love
any clues or corrections to misconceptions we might have (maybe this is not a problem and
drop events can precede other events?)