nifi-users mailing list archives

From Andy LoPresto <alopre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Nightly Builds of Nars/NiFi
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2018 19:06:47 GMT
Ryan,

I’d suggest you look at using Jenkins or some other CI tool to schedule a nightly build
of the processors you need. If the core framework changes aren’t what you are concerned
with, this could be a simple solution. Just checkout the git repository, build the processor
modules, and copy the resulting *ARs into a staging directory so your instances can pull from
them.

Unfortunately, I do not thing this is a task that the official Apache project can undertake
at this time.

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com

> On Aug 1, 2018, at 11:10 AM, Ryan Hendrickson <ryan.andrew.hendrickson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Aldrin,
>    You're spot on for the what we're trying to get - fixes and latest features for Processors.
 Earlier on, we back in the 0.x days we needed the core NiFi container-piece because that
was moving so fast, but as of late, it's really just Processors, Controller Services, etc.

> Ryan
>
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 1:11 PM Aldrin Piri <aldrinpiri@gmail.com <mailto:aldrinpiri@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>
> This is an often requested bit of process of ASF projects, however one that is not frequently
carried out nor is it something that aligns well with the core tenets of what a release is.
 The important thing to keep in mind is that releases conducted by the NiFi community, or
other ASF communities, are source releases [1].  While releases often times provide binaries
and assemblies, these are only for convenience and part of the formal release process.  These
guidelines are provided in full at [2].

> There is a way in which nightly builds are permitted but are to be created and made available
solely for the intent of testing purposes.

> What is fair game, and I think to solving your core problem, would be an evaluation of
release processes, what is released, and the granularity thereto.  You mentioned NARs in your
response.  Do you find the issues you are typically trying to get fixes for mostly pertaining
to extensions (processors, controller services, etc)?

<mailto:ryan.andrew.hendrickson@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I'd like to make the recommendation/discussion topic that nightly builds of the nar's
files (and/or NiFi) are created.  Sometimes I need a fix sooner than the next 1.x version
coming out.  I don't mind building master to get the latest, but it would be a lot more convenient
to just download the latest nar from master.