nifi-users mailing list archives

From Curtis Ruck <curtis.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re:
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2018 18:48:42 GMT
In my environment, by trying to enable OIDC, it returns false in that
function you selected.

My suggestion, is that in the } else { block, changing the
setWantClientAuth(true) to
setWantClientAuth(nifiproperties.isWantClientAuth()) which can default to
true in the absence of the setting.

By allowing a property to disable this check, would neuter the current X509
Authentication, as it won't have a certificate to authenticate.  It would
also address Shawn's concern of for having his users cancel the first
authentication popup.

It's not fixing AuthN/AuthZ, but its allowing us in special circumstances
to disable X509 easily.  In my environment, it's even preferable because we
would use OIDC to redirect to Apereo CAS, which does X509 Authentication
itself.

--
Curtis Ruck

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 2:43 PM Andy LoPresto <alopresto@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Curtis,
>
> There has definitely been some discussion about this and it is picking up
> recently. I understand the difficulty faced when using NiFi in conjunction
> with a reverse proxy or external identity provider. I am not saying the
> current way is perfect, or even the best.
>
> …but…
>
> Always allowing X.509 authentication has been the standard for years (due
> to NiFi’s original design requirements), and changing this will have
> far-reaching impact on the application. The additional identity providers
> have been added piece-meal as requirements arose, and because of the
> multiple contexts NiFi supports, there are additional changes required for
> each — issuing one time tokens for file downloads, etc.
>
> The code you identified returns a boolean value, but it is not simply
> reading a boolean flag from the properties file — it is calculating the
> presence/absence of the other (non-credential-based) identity providers:
>
> /**
>  * Returns true if client certificates are required for REST API. Determined
>  * if the following conditions are all true:
>  * <p>
>  * - login identity provider is not populated
>  * - Kerberos service support is not enabled
>  * - openid connect is not enabled
>  * - knox sso is not enabled
>  * </p>
>  *
>  * @return true if client certificates are required for access to the REST API
>  */
> public boolean isClientAuthRequiredForRestApi() {
>     return !isLoginIdentityProviderEnabled() && !isKerberosSpnegoSupportEnabled()
&& !isOidcEnabled() && !isKnoxSsoEnabled();