nifi-users mailing list archives

From Andy LoPresto <alopre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Persitant workflow file with NiFi and Docker[ra]
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2018 18:20:32 GMT
Hi Doug, thanks for sharing. I do believe this will help people looking to perform similar
actions. Is there a specific section of the Apache documentation you found confusing? You
mentioned the documentation around exporting the flow.xml.gz file to be lacking; is there
a specific place you would expect those instructions to be? Maybe the Admin Guide or User
Guide?

I added a comment to the post which I’ll paste here for people on the mailing list.

Hi Doug. Thanks for sharing your learnings here and documenting them for other users. If you
want to simplify this process, the template definition is serialized in the XML code contained
within flow.xml.gz (i.e. if you have a running NiFi instance with 10 templates defined, there
will be 10 "<template>...</template>" sections in the XML of flow.xml.gz as well
as the actual flow definition). Thus, if you're copying the flow.xml.gz to your Docker instance
directly, you do not need to independently copy the template file, nor go through the process
of importing it via the UI/API. Cheers.

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com

> On Nov 30, 2018, at 4:17 AM, Doug McDonald <doug.mcdonald@bmtglobal.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I recently had an issue with how to use docker and NiFi to persist workflows which I
posted on stackoverflow.

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50486952/start-nifi-docker-with-custom-nar-and-workflow
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50486952/start-nifi-docker-with-custom-nar-and-workflow>

> I was recommended to post an article I wrote documenting the process in case it would
help others, here is that post:

> http://dougmcdonald.co.uk/running-nifi-in-docker/ <http://dougmcdonald.co.uk/running-nifi-in-docker/>
>
> I hope it helps someone out,
>
> Cheers,
>
> Doug
>
> Doug McDonald
> Senior Software Developer
> BMT Defence & Security UK Ltd <http://www.bmt.org/>
> Tel:
> 01225 473778 <tel:01225%20473778>
> EMail:
> doug.mcdonald@bmtglobal.com <mailto:doug.mcdonald@bmtglobal.com>
> RLI EMail:
> doug.mcdonald@bmtdefence.r.mil.uk <mailto:doug.mcdonald@bmtdefence.r.mil.uk>
> LinkedIn:
> Doug McDonald <x-msg://16/uk.linkedin.com/in/dougajmcdonald>
> Website:
> www.bmt.org <http://www.bmt.org/>
>
>  <http://www.bmt.org/>
>
> LinkedIn <https://www.bmt.org/linkedin/> | Twitter <https://www.bmt.org/twitter/>
| Facebook <https://www.bmt.org/facebook/> | YouTube <https://www.bmt.org/youtube/>
>
> BMT Defence & Security UK Ltd <http://www.bmt.org/>, Floor 2, Studio 5-11,
5 Millbay Road, Plymouth, PL1 3LF, UK
> Registered in England & Wales, Registered no. 02326885, Registered office Goodrich
House, 1 Waldegrave Road, Teddington, Middlesex, TW11 8LZ.

> Unless otherwise agreed by BMT Defence & Security UK Ltd <http://www.bmt.org/>
in writing, all work, services, goods or products supplied by BMT Defence & Security UK
Ltd <http://www.bmt.org/> shall be subject to and governed by BMT Defence & Security
UK Ltd <http://www.bmt.org/>’s own terms and conditions which are available for inspection
from BMT Defence & Security UK Ltd <http://www.bmt.org/> on request.

> E-mail confidentiality notice and disclaimer:
> The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended for the use of the mail
addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, you are not allowed to read it, to take any
action based upon it or to copy it, forward, distribute or disclose the contents of it and
you should please delete it from your system. BMT Defence & Security UK Ltd <http://www.bmt.org/>
does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the context of this e-mail or its
attachments which arise as a result of internet transmission, nor accept liability for statements
which are those of the author and clearly not made on behalf of BMT Defence & Security
UK Ltd <http://www.bmt.org/>.