nifi-users mailing list archives

From Bryan Bende <bbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Nifi registry flow version and controller services
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2018 13:31:17 GMT
Hello,

When you change a processor to use a controller service that is
contained with in the versioned process group then it is considered a
local change because all components are in the same process group
under version control.

If the controller service lives outside the versioned process group,
then selecting it will not be considered a local change.

So I think it can work if you keep your AvroSchemaRegistry and
readers/writers one level above the versioned process group where your
processors are. In each environment you'd have your different schema
registry and different readers/writers, and upon import you would go
in and configure the processors to use the appropriate services. This
is a one time selection and will be retained across upgrades.

Thanks,

Bryan

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 8:13 AM Krzysztof Zarzycki <k.zarzycki@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi community,
> I'm using Nifi 1.7 with Nifi registry and I stumbled upon the following problem.
> I run a single nifi registry and single nifi cluster. I would like to have two versions
of a flow deployed, that each uses different instance of controller service (specifically
recordReader and it , different AvroSchemaRegistry).
> I want to have dev version that uses dev version of the service, and prod version that
uses prod version of the service.
> But whenever I change the processor on prod to point to different RecordReader (that
has different registry), the change is considered a local change in the flow and requires
to be committed as a new version. That in turn, blocks me from promoting new version from
dev to prod, without reverting back the prod changes.

> What I would expect is that I can "templatize" the flow's controller services the same
way I can templatize the variables, i.e. change the controller in prod flow without introducing
version change.
> Of course, I can't put the controller service  in a Nifi variable.
> Is there any way I can achieve this in current state of Nifi?  If not, is there some
ongoing work around this kind of feature?