nifi-users mailing list archives

From Vijay Chhipa <vchh...@apple.com>
Subject Re: Getting the value of a variable defined in a processor group
Date Tue, 14 May 2019 18:27:11 GMT
Bryan, Andy

Thanks for the reply,

I could use the PropertyDescriptor and have the user enter a value using EL.

My use case is this:

I am constructing a topic name, to post data to.
Part of the topic name, I would the user to enter in a field. But the other part I would like
to pick up from a variable without having the user worry about it.

Not a blocker issue, but would be nice.

Thanks again.

> On May 14, 2019, at 1:17 PM, Bryan Bende <bbende@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The intent is to get a variable through a property of a component
> using expression language. So you define a PropertyDescriptor that
> supports EL like:
>
> public static final PropertyDescriptor DIRECTORY = new
> PropertyDescriptor.Builder()
>        .name("Directory")
>        .description("The HDFS directory from which files should be read")
>        .required(true)
>        .addValidator(StandardValidators.ATTRIBUTE_EXPRESSION_LANGUAGE_VALIDATOR)
>        .expressionLanguageSupported(ExpressionLanguageScope.FLOWFILE_ATTRIBUTES)
>        .build();
>
> Then you get the value and evaluate the expressions:
>
> context.getProperty(DIRECTORY).evaluateAttributeExpressions(flow).getValue()
>
> This will automatically substitute in any variables, so if the user
> entered ${directory} and there is a variable "directory", it will be
> substituted in. The order of precedence when evaluating expression
> language is the following:
>
> 1) flow file attributes
> 2) variable registry at process group level
> 3) variable registry properties files
> 4) system properties
> 5) environment variables
>
> So if there was a flow file attribute named "directory" it would take
> precedence over a process group variable named "directory".
>
> Some properties don't support EL from flow file attributes and only
> have  expressionLanguageSupported(ExpressionLanguageScope.VARIABLE_REGISTRY)
> and then don't pass in a flow file when evaluating:
>
> context.getProperty(DIRECTORY).evaluateAttributeExpressions().getValue()
>
> Is there a good use case for getting a variable value without having a
> PropertyDescriptor?
>
> On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 2:05 PM Andy LoPresto <alopresto@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Vijay,
>>
>> I don’t believe there is a good way to get a complete list of all variables within
processor code. If you want to explore this further, you can take a look at StandardProcessContext
[1], which processors have access to in their #onTrigger() method, and MutableVariableRegistry
[2], which is the only concrete implementation of the ComponentVariableRegistry interface
which exposes a variable map (the StandardComponentVariableRegistry returns an empty map when
accessed). The issue is that the context does not expose the ProcessorNode field, which is
the intermediary to the variable registry. I believe this is by design. There may be a valid
use case to provide an accessor method on the context to return a variable map, or at least
the entry set.

>> I’d like to hear from Matt Gilman, Bryan Bende, and/or Mark Payne with their thoughts,
since much of this code was written by them.

>> [1] https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/master/nifi-nar-bundles/nifi-framework-bundle/nifi-framework/nifi-framework-core/src/main/java/org/apache/nifi/processor/StandardProcessContext.java#L87
>> [2] https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/master/nifi-nar-bundles/nifi-framework-bundle/nifi-framework/nifi-framework-core/src/main/java/org/apache/nifi/registry/variable/MutableVariableRegistry.java#L27
>>

>> Andy LoPresto
>> alopresto@apache.org
>> alopresto.apache@gmail.com
>> PGP Fingerprint: 70EC B3E5 98A6 5A3F D3C4  BACE 3C6E F65B 2F7D EF69
>>
>> On May 14, 2019, at 10:48 AM, Vijay Chhipa <vchhipa@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> I am writing a new NiFi processor. In the source code I would like to use a variable
defined in the NiFi processor group using the UI.